Sunday, September 20, 2009

Re: Leftovers as an Opening Act

As a professional writer (i.e., somebody who has collected a paycheck by stringing words together for a community newsweekly in New York City's borough of Queens the past 20 years), I've sometimes -- okay, often -- wondered about engaging in outside projects and possible conflicts of interest.

The first time that I got to thinking about the subject, I think, was upon learning that one of my favorite sports columnists would be making regular appearances on sports talk radio. And I wondered: who's going to get the leftovers?

To put it another way, I wondered who would be getting this particular scribe's best stuff. If he were lucky enough to have a scoop on his hands, which audience would get it first --- his readers or his listeners?

It's safe to say that his respective bosses probably wondered, too.

So, as I join the rest of the world on a blogging stage, for an opening act, I promise no scoops or even tasty leftovers; just some musings, and hopefully, a reason to visit every once in a while.

2 comments: